We live in the times of digital revolution in which AI-based solutions are becoming increasingly important. The media are full of information about generative AI and several innovative tools made available to the general public. Their applications fired the imagination of managers of technology companies and encouraged scientists to further research.
Solutions based on AI are incorporated into applications and devices used by various sectors of the economy. Artificial intelligence selects a movie for the evening, diagnoses diseases, controls street lights and warehouse logistics, monitors banking transactions or protects critical infrastructure.
The daily presence of AI algorithms in the modern world is not necessarily due to large corporations from overseas. Universities, research centers and startups from around the world are also working on the development of AI as part of local projects or international cooperation.
How will the two institutions work together?
According to the letter of intent signed on 4 April 2023 by representatives of IDEAS NCBR and the Institute of Fundamental Technological Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, the coordinating unit of the Doctoral School of TIB PAN, the aim of the cooperation will be to select joint candidates for the doctoral school educating in the field of artificial intelligence and IT solutions for the digital economy.
Thanks to the cooperation between the two institutions, jointly recruited scientists will be able to study at the Doctoral School of TIB PAN and, at the same time, conduct scientific research at IDEAS NCBR.
The research teams of the Institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences forming the Doctoral School of TIB PAN have been working on the development and application of artificial intelligence methods for many years. Research is carried out in particular in such important areas as:
- Application of AI algorithms for optimal design of engineering systems and classification of biomedical data
- Neuroinformatics, including research on neural networks inspired by brain architecture, next-generation computers, and the application of information theory
- Application of AI systems in the context of vision systems and mobile robots
- The use of AI in biomedical diagnostics and therapy, and in particular the use of AI for image processing and recognition using ultrasonography data
- The use of AI in the processing of multimedia information, virtual and augmented reality systems, anomaly detection in liquid and gas distribution systems
- Research on machine learning, statistical reasoning, and information theory, including variable selection methods for high-dimensional classification and regression problems, differential modeling, and probabilistic natural language models
- Development of methods of analysis and modeling of large medical data sets, primarily concerning civilization diseases (cancer and type 2 diabetes)
- Application of fuzzy logic, evolutionary computation and neural networks methods in intelligent decision support and control systems, including intelligent systems and methods of machine learning, searching and processing information (in particular methods of numerical, text and multimedia data analysis) and decision support methods.
- Application of deep machine learning to recognize early stages of Alzheimer’s disease based on brain activity, and image analysis and machine learning methods used for automatic detection of precancerous lesions in gynecological cytology
- AI methods in cybersecurity
Therefore, it seems obvious that the cooperation between the Doctoral School of TIB PAN and the IDEAS NCBR research and development center will offer benefits to both parties, strengthening competitiveness of the Doctoral School graduates on the international arena. The agreement was signed by habilitated doctor professor Tadeusz Burczyński, engineer habilitated doctor Piotr Sankowski, professor at the University of Warsaw, president of IDEAS NCBR, in presence of habilitated doctor professor Marek Konarzewski, President of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
What do IDEAS NCBR and the TIB PAN Doctoral School do?
IDEAS NCBR Sp. z o.o. is a research and development center operating in the field of artificial intelligence and digital economy, whose mission is to support the development of these technologies in Poland by creating a platform to connect academic and business communities. The company was established by the National Center for Research and Development (NCBR) and belongs to the NCBR Group. Our goal is to build the largest space in Poland, friendly to conducting innovative research, as well as educating a new generation of scientists focused on practical application of algorithms and their subsequent commercialization in industry, finance, medicine and other branches of the economy. We can work with world-renowned scientists due to the highest substantive level of our projects.
The Doctoral School of Information and Biomedical Technologies of the Polish Academy of Sciences (TIB PAN) was established in 2019 on the initiative of seven scientific institutions, including six institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences and one of the National Research Institute:
- Institute of Fundamental Technological Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences (coordinator of TIB PAN)
- Systems Research Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Theoretical and Applied Computer Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Computer Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Scientific and Academic Computer Network (NASK) – National Research Institute
The Doctoral School of TIB PAN teaches postgraduate students, preparing them to obtain a doctoral degree in the following disciplines: technical informatics and telecommunications, biomedical engineering and medical sciences. This is a new initiative supposed to provide interdisciplinary education including, among others, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity and computational sciences in biology and medicine.